In 2011, 57 million primary-school aged children were out of school in developing countries, and millions more are shut of secondary school.
The Global Partnership for Education is the only multilateral partnership devoted to getting all these children into school for a quality education.
Established in 2002, the Global Partnership for Education is comprised of close to 60 developing countries, donor governments, international organizations, the private sector, teachers, and civil society/NGO groups.
Our partnership has fundamentally transformed international cooperation in education.
We help our developing country partners develop and implement sound education plans. Members of the Partnership mobilize and coordinate resources to support the achievement of the plans' goals to enroll more children in school for a better education.
By promoting dialogue among our partners around shared objectives, we foster mutual accountability, increase our shared knowledge about best practices, and encourage transparency at all levels. Our support strengthens the growth of the entire education system in developing countries while ensuring that external education funding is tracked and coordinated.
- Support education in fragile and conflict-affected states
- Promote girls' education
- Increase basic numeracy and literacy skills in primary school
- Improve teacher effectiveness through training and recruitment
- Expand funding and support to education in GPE countries
Support We Offer
- Development of education strategies and programs
- Promotion of collaboration in the education sector by providing developing countries unique expertise and guidance to achieve their education goals
- Sharing innovative solutions for education
- Providing a unique platform among our education network to share knowledge on education policy and practice and achieve education results
- Financing the development and implementation of sound education sector plans
- Monitoring education results
- Producing relevant data with solid indicators to assess education progress
Our Key Benefits
- GPE is not just about financing: it helps donors and developing country partners work together to ensure that education aid is better coordinated and more effective, based on countries' own education strategies.
- GPE's endorsement signals to current and new donors that a country's education sector plan is a good investment.
- Donor partners can leverage additional funding from GPE and other partners for countries lacking sufficient support.