Since 2003, GPE has provided grants totaling US$4.9 billion:
- to partner developing countries to develop and implement their education sector plans
- to civil society organizations to advocate for education for all
- to partner organizations to support research and share best practices to resolve education challenges.
Learn more about GPE grants
To enhance its impact in partner countries, GPE uses a results-based funding model:
- Allocations are based on countries' needs. Eligibility to receive an implementation grant is based on poverty level, education vulnerability (number of children out of school) and fragility.
- Performance is key: Eligible countries can receive 70% of their maximum allocation based on a credible education sector plan endorsed by national and international partners, the commitment to collect and analyze data to better manage their education system, and an increase in domestic spending on education up to at least 20% of the national budget. To receive the remaining 30% of the allocation, countries must demonstrate significant results in equity, efficiency, and learning outcomes.