While we have made progress on SDG 4, it is not fast enough to achieve quality education for all children by 2030. Vulnerable children from marginalized backgrounds and in lower-income countries are at risk of being left even further behind.
Getting back on track to achieve SDG 4 requires education to be prioritized at the highest political levels and to be fully financed. Multi-sectoral approaches, aligned to national priorities and built on the strengths and comparative advantages of all stakeholders, can help maximize investments in education.
GPE and the Roger Federer Foundation, together with the governments of Kenya and Switzerland, and UNICEF co-host this high-level side event on the margins of the SDG Summit. The event brings together global influencers and champions from UN Member States, the UN and other multilateral bodies, civil society, foundations, and youth movements, to increase political will to drive progress towards SDG 4 through crucial investments in education systems and collaborative efforts.
The event aims to:
- Demonstrate the value of transforming education systems as an accelerator to achieve all the SDGs and showcase how multisectoral approaches to education can maximize outcomes across the SDGs.
- Build broad, far-reaching momentum at the highest levels to make education a policy and investment priority and advance SDG 4.
- Make the case for increased investments, including innovative financing, in education – aligned behind country priorities.
- Ms. Janet Mbugua, Media personality and GPE champion
- H.E. William Ruto, President of Kenya
- H.E. Alain Berset, President of Switzerland
- Ms. Amina Mohammed, UN Deputy Secretary-General
- Mr. Roger Federer, former professional tennis player and founder and Board President of the Roger Federer Foundation
- Ms. Laura Frigenti, GPE CEO
- H.E. Toyin Saraki, Founder and President, Wellbeing Foundation Africa
- Ms. Catherine Russell, Executive Director, UNICEF
- Ms. Temilade Salami, GPE youth leader
Time: 16:30- 18:00 ET / 20:30- 22:00 GMT / 22:30- 00:00 CET