Aid to education
Under the oversight of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA), KOICA, Korea’s International Cooperation Agency, administers the Korean government’s grant aid and technical cooperation programs.
As of 2016, the major priorities for development cooperation in the area of global education included:
- Enhancing educational cooperation through international cooperation with 31 countries around the world and multilateral organizations
- Global citizenship education
- Expansion of ODA for education development abroad, particularly in Africa.
KOICA’s education work is guided by its 2016-2020 education mid-term strategy, which has three main objectives:
- Quality education and healthy schools
- Inclusive education for disadvantaged groups
- Skills and technology for work.
The top five recipients of Korean aid to basic education in 2015 were: Mongolia, Nigeria, Cambodia, Myanmar, and Jordan.