In 2017, GPE launched a major country-level evaluation to assess the effectiveness of its operational model in supporting partner countries to achieve results in learning, equity, inclusion for all, and strengthened education systems.
This evaluation is an integral part of GPE's M&E strategy. The main purpose of the evaluation is to learn which aspects of GPE's operational model are relevant and effective and which ones need to be improved to support GPE's goals. Evidence-based lessons from this evaluation will also inform GPE's strategic direction beyond 2020.
The evaluation comprises 22 summative and eight prospective country case studies, to be conducted between 2017 and 2020:
- The summative studies will be conducted at or around the completion of the country's GPE education sector plan implementation grant. The countries are: Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Caribbean Islands States, Cote d'Ivoire, Gambia, Guinea, Guyana, Kyrgyz Republic, Lesotho, Liberia, Mauritania, Mozambique, Pakistan, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Tajikistan, Togo, Uganda, and Zambia
- The prospective studies will start at the beginning of a grant and iteratively follow GPE-related programs up until 2020, to provide a continuous review of the effectiveness of GPE's operational model during program implementation. The countries are: Congo DR, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mali, Nepal, Nigeria, and Zimbabwe
An annual synthesis will provide findings derived from cross analysis of the case studies conducted in that year.
The GPE Secretariat has appointed an independent panel to:
- conduct the technical review of country-level evaluations, ensuring they are of the highest quality, rigor and integrity
- provide strategic advice to the Secretariat on how the partnership may learn from the case studies.
The panel is chaired by Dr. James Habyarimana (Associate Professor of Public Policy, Georgetown University) and composed of:
- Dr. Marlaine Lockheed,former Evaluation Manager, World Bank Institute, World Bank Group, and Visiting Lecturer, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Princeton University
- Dr. Claudia Maldonado, Professor, Division for Public Administration, Centro de Investigación y Docencia Económicas
- Dr. Jozef Vaessen, Methods Advisor, Independent Evaluation Group, World Bank Group.
- Final country-level evaluation inception report. 2018
- Frequently asked questions on GPE's country-level evaluation
- Modified approach to country level evaluations for FY II (2019) and FY III (2020)
- Synthesis report of country-level evaluations. February 2019
Summative evaluation reports
- Summative evaluation. Burkina Faso
- Summative evaluation. Cote d'Ivoire
- Summative evaluation. The Gambia
- Summative evaluation. Guyana
- Summative evaluation. Liberia
- Summative evaluation. Mauritania
- Summative evaluation. Pakistan
- Summative evaluation. Sierra Leone
Prospective evaluation reports