We are extremely pleased to launch the Analysis of National Learning Assessment Systems (ANLAS), a global good and resource for countries to build effective and sustainable learning assessment systems.
Developed by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) on behalf of GPE, ANLAS is a toolkit for countries to systematically gather and analyze information about their learning assessment systems, with the aim to inform improvement strategies as part of the wider education sector planning process.
ANLAS is a core component of GPE’s Assessment for Learning (A4L) initiative. The ANLAS toolkit was developed and refined on the basis of piloting in three partner countries: Ethiopia, Mauritania and Vietnam.
Why is it important to analyze learning assessment systems?
Learning assessments are essential tools for all education systems. They can generate high quality data on learning and achievement that are used to monitor equitable educational outcomes, inform evidence-based policymaking reforms, and improve teaching and learning practices. At the global level, SDG 4 has reinforced a focus on learning assessment to establish and monitor education quality and learning progress.
A good learning assessment system:
- is determined by its context, such as legislation and policy, institutional arrangements and governance structures, funding and leadership
- is consistent with other elements of the education system, such as with learning standards and curriculum, and national education priorities
- has assessment programs of good quality
- is regularly reviewed and constantly improved.
GPE views high quality learning assessment systems as key elements of robust education systems. As such, countries that apply for GPE implementation grants are required to have a system or mechanism in place to capture learning data and to monitor student learning outcomes, or a time-bound plan to develop such mechanisms. GPE monitors countries’ progress in building good quality learning assessment systems through Indicator 15 of its Results Framework.
What is the content of ANLAS?
ANLAS is a comprehensive, qualitative analysis with a focus on three dimensions:
- Context of the national learning assessment system
- Quality of the assessment programs administered, including national and international large-scale assessments, national and sub-national examinations and classroom assessment
- Coherence of the assessment system with the wider education system.
Each dimension has several key areas, with defined quality objectives against which the key areas are evaluated. Based on this information, aspects that require improvement are identified, and recommendations are made about how the key areas can be improved.