Results of GPE COVID-19 grants
Discover how the rapid support by GPE to 66 partner countries is making a difference in keeping millions of children learning and back to school safely.
Map of COVID-19 grants and stories
To view grant amounts, click on countries in blue.
To view grant amounts and results stories, click on countries in green.
Between April and October 2020, GPE approved $467 million in COVID-19 accelerated grants to 66 countries and another $25 million for a global grant to UNESCO, UNICEF and the World Bank.
Grant allocations by category
(in US$ millions)
Distance learning methods
(in US$ millions)
The country grants help ensure that girls and children from the poorest families, who have been hit hardest by school closures, are not left behind.
- Grants support partner countries' response in:
- Equity: Hygiene and psychosocial support programs, with priority for the most vulnerable children, including children with disabilities.
- Learning: Distance learning initiatives, provision of learning materials, support to teachers in distance and accelerated remedial learning programs.
- System resilience and school reopening: Preparations for the reopening of schools by ensuring that students and teachers can return to safe education facilities.
- 38% of the grants support low tech solutions for distance learning (radio and TV); 34% support printed materials, and 28% support e-learning.
- 66 countries received COVID-19 accelerated grants totalling US$467 million (see table below)
- 87 countries received a COVID-19 planning grant in March 2020 at the start of the pandemic for a total of US$8.8 million
- a US$25 million global grant funds a joint initiative by UNESCO, UNICEF and the World Bank to ensure regional and global efficiencies and knowledge sharing in the education pandemic response.
Click on each country in the table below to learn more about COVID-19 grants and related documentation
|Country||Amount (US$ M)||Grant agent|
|Bhutan||0.75||Save the Children|
|Central African Republic||7||UNICEF|
|Republic of Congo||7||UNICEF|
|The Gambia||3.5||World Bank|
|OECS (Dominica, Grenada, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines)||3||OECS|
|Papua New Guinea||9.44||UNICEF|
|Sao Tome and Principe||0.75||UNICEF|
|Sierra Leone||7||World Bank|
|Somalia (Federal Government)||5.4||Save the Children|
|Somalia (Somaliland)||2.2||Save the Children|
|Tonga||0.75||Save the Children|
|Vanuatu||0.75||Save the Children|
Last updated: November 2, 2020
Latest blogs and news