As part of the Better Early Learning and Development at Scale (BELDS) initiative, GPE and UNICEF collaborated on the implementation of an innovative and consultative approach aimed at strengthening national capacities in planning, costing calculating and financing, as well as monitoring early childhood education (ECE) programs in four countries: Ghana, Kyrgyzstan, Lesotho and Sao Tome and Principe.
These efforts have strengthened ECE and systematically incorporated it into education sector analyzes and education sector plans in those countries.
During the webinar, presenters focused on the cases of Ghana and Sao Tome and Principe. They shared experiences in developing their sector analyses and plans based on the main “steps” recommended by the BELDS's framework, and capacity-building efforts that have favored the systematic integration of ECE into their analyses and plans.
MODERATOR: Christin McConnell, Education Specialist, GPE Secretariat.
- Bright Dey, Head of Planning and ICT, Ghana Education Service, Ministry of Education
- Agnes Arthur, Education Specialist, UNICEF Ghana
- Bleizy da Vera Cruz José da Costa, Director of Education Planning and Innovation, Ministry of Education, Sao Toma and Principe
- Augusta Maria Cravid da Conceição Monteiro, Director of Preschool Education, Ministry of Education, São Tome and Príncipe.
- Vayrsa Coelho da Trindade, Preschool Educational Supervisor, Ministry of Education, Sao Tome and Principe
- Mariavittoria Ballota, Deputy Representative of Sao Tome and Principe to UNICEF.
- Katy Anis, Team Leader, Early Childhood Education Programs, Open Society Foundations
This webinar was presented in English and Portuguese with simultaneous interpretation into French.