Development objective: Improve the teaching and learning environment in grades 1-4 in targeted schools
The total cost of the program in Guinea-Bissau is US$15 million, and includes a US$4.3 million grant from GPE and US$10.7 million from IDA.
The GPE program has 4 components:
Component 1 aims to strengthen and improve the teaching and learning environment in all community and public primary schools, focusing on grades 1-4, in the two poorest regions by:
- Encouraging greater community participation in school management
- Providing financial resources at the school-level to purchase basic supplies, pedagogical materials, and to cover operating costs
- Improving the inspection system to monitor school performance.
Component 2 aims to improve the quality of instruction by:
- Establishing standards and harmonizing the system for teacher training
- Introducing and rolling out the new curriculum for grades 1-4
- Improving in-service teachers’ content knowledge and skills to effectively teach basic literacy and numeracy
- Improving student learning outcomes in Portuguese and mathematics in early grades.
Component 3 aims to improve the overall functioning of the education system by increasing the availability of data to guide decision-making and by strengthening the overall capacity of the ministry of education. The component includes 2 sub-components: sector studies and project management.
The project management sub-component will also finance training activities for the ministry of education staff and the recruitment of additional expertise. The data collected through the school mapping exercise will help the ministry determine a cost-effective way to expand the current system.