The education sector plan finalized in 2017, Plano Estratégico da Educação 2017-2021, identified 3 main priorities:
- Achieve universal access to preschool education, primary and secondary education
- Increase the quality of education at all levels
- Obtain a pattern of student flow in the system that guarantees success and ensures diversification of content so that those who leave the system are equipped with skills that favor access to employment individually and contribute to growth and employment collectively.
Three major lines of intervention were defined:
- Universal access to education
- Improvement of quality and relevance of education services
- Strengthening the system's efficiency and management.